Sunday, March 06, 2016

vegan gingerbread cheesecake


Some months ago I saw this seemingly delicious recipe for a vegan gingerbread cheesecake in issue 6/15 of Magasinet Vego. I swiftly bought the ingredients but I haven't really had the baking mojo since. Plus there was a tiny fawlty detail in the recipe that said you should put the oven on x degrees but not a word about baking the crust. So I kept putting the baking, or non-baking, off until I could get my lazy self to actually ask for the correct recipe. Ie when the due date of said ingredients fast approached.

As usual I can't make the recipe fully vegan since there isn't any palm-oil free non-dairy butter available in Sweden - which is crazy - so I use my trusted friend butter oil instead.

So the crust has a bit of butter in it, the rest is proudly plantbased. And yes awesome! Granted, it tastes a bit Christmassy and possibly not really seasonally appropriate, but who cares, right?


Gingerbread cheesecake

12 servings

Crust
200 g ginger snaps (palmoil free, I use these excellent ones from Göteborgskex)
100 g butter/oil or palmoil-free non-dairy butter

Cheesecake filling
400 g non-dairy creamcheese (no palmoil, I use the great Original Sheese from Bute Island Food)
1 dl caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp dry ginger
1 ml clove
2 dl non-dairy whipped cream (I use Alpro)

Decoration
gingersnaps
raspberries or lingonberries

Crush the gingerbreads into fine crums in a blender. Add the butter/oil. Spread it in a 20 cm cake tin with removable bottom. Put aside.

Whip the cream until firm and fluffy.

In another bowl you mix the rest of the filling ingredients. Then ad that mix to the whipped cream and blend slowly and properly. Pour the filling into the cake tin and let it rest in the freezer for some hours or over-night.

Take it out of the freezer about 30 minutes before serving. And add the decoration of choice then.


Snoopervisors not impressed. But your two-legged guests will be!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...