Saturday, March 12, 2011

crispy apple bundles

064

Today I thought I'd share a really easy recipe-ish for the sweet tooth. Whether it'll become a vegan or vegetarian dessert depends on what kind of ice-cream you decide to serve it with, the bundles/wraps themselves are, if you chose sunflower oil only, vegan.

The measurements aren't at all specific - I'm all for non-specific recipes which you can tweak to meet your own flavour preferences -, but it's so so easy to make so just as long as you use a generous amount of grated apples it'll turn out great.

The packages with phyllo dough I've found in Sweden, so far, are of a ridiculous large size. The dough is brittle (you can't divide it before thawing) and since there's no way I can use it all up I have been giving it to the hungry beings in the forest who have had a difficult winter (which I suppose is a great way to use it up anyway).

I use about 1/4 of that large sized phyllo dough roll and 1,5 apple per portion. Definitely a dessert that should be made, served and eaten on the same day.

Apple bundles

frozen phyllo dough
~1,5 coarsely grated apple per portion
liquid butter/oil (what I always use, but with a dollop of sunflower oil it'll be vegan)
cinnamon, cardamom
caster sugar
if you like;
sunflower seeds, chopped nuts/almonds, raisins, grated almond paste

for serving: ice cream

Thaw the phyllo dough well before baking.

Put oven on the temperature specified on package. Peel and coarsely grate the apples. Put the amount of phyllo dough you want on a baking sheet covered with baking paper. Brush with a little butter/oil. Portion the grated apples in a string on the dough. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon/cardamom and a tad sugar.

If you want, sprinkle with sunflower seeds, chopped nuts, almonds, raisins. I'm thinking a small amount of grated almond paste on top would be nice too.

Roll into a roll-up. Brush the roll-up with a little butter/oil. Sprinkle with tad caster sugar. Bake in oven until golden.

Let cool a bit. Cut into portion sizes. Serve with ice-cream.


038

13 comments:

L.Sastri said...

Hi Piak...I stumbled upon your lovely blog. Your today's recipe looks tempting. I am all about non-specific recipe, I do not know how to follow recipes to a tee :)
Have a great weekend!
Lily

Megan said...

I love easy to follow recipes and this one is simple enough for my ADCD(attention deficit cooking disorder). If the steps are too long and I have to order my recipes from a far away store then its not for me but this one I will have to try this week. Thanks so much for sharing.

Oh yeah, I found your lovely blog on my blogger dashboard. Congrats for being listed in the blogs of note and can't wait to read more from you :)

Kerstin Tschernigg said...

Aaaah, your amazing crispy apple bundles would make me give up my diet :D

Karen Martin Sampson said...

I also found you on Blogs of Note...I peruse the list on occasion. As a vegetarian and now VEGAN (started last week) I shall be interested in your recipes. My husband is totally committed and I am too but feeling the loss of dairy...I'll get over it. I got over the loss of hamburgers more than a dozen years ago after all. I am an artist living on Vancouver Island. Stop by sometime:
http://karenmartinarts.blogspot.com

Growing Up Gramma said...

This might be a dumb question, but what is caster sugar?

Megan said...

I found your blog from the blogs of note....
and this recipe looks delicious! I think phylo dough is fun, but something that I very rarely bake with.
Thanks for sharing!

Shopgirl said...

I've bought some apples lately and must now try this, apple desserts (purse/pie/tarts/etc.) being my favorite form of sweets.

Great photo and presentations too.

Virgilio Paralisan said...

Some wicked temptations you just have to surrender to.....these are so yummy......

java said...

this blog good and also quite good coupled with a good article too, it was perfect!
Greetings!
Do not forget to visit my blog
Thank you

Miss Allie said...

Hello, I have just recently stumbled upon your blog and this caught my eye. It looks and sounds absolutely amazing! It is refreshing that you blog about multiple things and don't stick to one or two topics. I have a short attention span, so your blog has kept me occupied.

Again, lovely blog and I can't wait to see more from you.

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

Hi,
New to your blog. This recipe looks very tempting. I love anything with apples. I look forward to learning more about Sweden.

Unknown said...

That looks absolutley delicious!

Nik Nac said...

Ahh yes! Im gonna try it Friday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...