Saturday, July 25, 2009

the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society

The title alone would make anyone want to dive into this book. But the question is of course, does the words inside the cover live up to the promising title? I believe they do. It's quite a delightful read, it begins with a by chance correspondence between a post-WWII London writer and some people (members of the literary and potato peel society) living on the English channel island Guernsey and turns into so much more.

It's an easy, witty and funny - reminding me of the "Uncommon Reader" - read, but it doesn't lack of depth, thought, sorrow and interesting historical bits as the story of life and immense hardship for many during the German occupation of Guernsey during the war (I never knew) unfolds.

A sweet with sour bits, very entertaining book about the power of literature, love and the importance to stand up for what's right. A worthwhile story to read. Of course.

3 comments:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Hmmmmmm! *rubbing chin* and taking your word for it :D

Poppy Q said...

Do you know, I couldn't get into this book and had to abandon ship after about 40 pages. I see it on the bestseller lists, and lots of people seem to like it.

I am glad you enjoyed it. What are you reading now.

Pia K said...

You do that, Jacqueline:)

Oh, I'm far from always agreeing on what's on the bestselling lists, Julie, this one I enjoyed a lot though (but I can probably give more examples of best selling-list books I've not enjoyed/couldn't get through). My currently reading list can be found in the right column, below My profile:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...