Friday, December 07, 2007

Most Beautiful When Night Falls

Many have heard and adore the song that accompanies the SAAB-comercial, Release me with Swedish band Laura - I even bought the whole record, and well, let's just say most of the other songs were far from that good...

And no, nothing whatsover would compel me in to buying a SAAB, as far as I'm concerned some of the ugliest looking cars ever been made. But still, this comercial is hertbreakingly beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes every single time I see it and listen to the lyrics. Singer Frida Öhrn's hoarse voice is absolutely perfect for rendering all that immense feeling of desperation and sadness the lyrics calls for.

And even if I didn't particulary like the whole CD with Laura, I do, very much so, enjoy the CD with Frida Öhrn and Bo Sundström - from one of my favourite bands Bo Kaspers Orkester - with poems by Swedish author Pär Lagerkvist (won the Nobel Prize in literature 1951).

I can't recall reading anything in particular by Lagerkvist, he was probably someone compulsory to read in high school, but obviously he didn't leave any impressions in me. Then. When I listen to this CD - den lyckliges väg / the fortunate's road - I find the lyrics, the poems stunningly beautiful, wistful, insightful. And they make me think this is someone I have to read and learn more of.

Lyrics, music, voices for contemplating - and now I got the answer to the matter why it is most beautiful when night falls...

071119 048

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love SAABs, they are not as distinctively different now as they were. I enjoy your blog very much.

Pia K said...

Ah, tastes differ, which in general is a good thing, but when it comes to SAAB...naaah...;) However, I must say that SAAB, when they were very distinct in their models they were at least unique in their very own way of ugliness, not like nowadays when most cars look pretty much the same. Boring.

Thanks for that kind remark, and taking your time to comment, anonymous:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...