Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Princess Queen and Her Lavender Friends

How come one uses the phrase feel like a prince or princess when one wants to express the feeling of being on top of the world, but never feel like a king or a queen? At least not in that very sense. Is it perhaps because when being a princess or prince it means being carefree and without any worries concerning the ruling of the kingdom?

Ah, the life of a prince or princess is all about sleeping on feather beds, playing with lambs, singing songs with tinkly voices and dancing on green meadows, combing one's goldilock hair and being gentle and caring with birds, butterflies and peasants.

And why is it called the kingdom and never the queendom?

Or can the phrase possibly have something to do with the fact that you hardly ever hear of any wise and fair king and queen in the fairytales? They're harsh, uncaring, plain evil despots and step-parents - whereas princes and princesses almost always are kind, caring, gentle beings.

Yes, those gentle, sweet beings may nearly perish, but since it's a fairytale, east of the sun, west of the moon, and not real life, they always overcome the hardship, outwit the malevolent rulers of the country, and become fair and wise kings and queens. And then the story ends. Because who have heard of such a thing, as a gentle, wise ruler of the kingdom a k a queendom...?

Myself, I rule like a wise, gentle yet of *strict* principles kind of queen in the catdom. At least I like to think so. But I try to treat myself as a princess on a regular basis. I believe it's important to treat oneself to the carefree, dancing on meadows - and in my case the very King's meadows - combing one's not very goldilock hair existence now and then. But since I'm wise and kind I do tend to pass over the singing with tinkly voice part of the princess' life.

I fear such an indulgence would lead to far more evil than good, a caring despot is never completely self-obsessed. Never allow the urge of self-expression take over the wellbeing of the loyal subjects.

One of my favourite things to do on those princess days is to drink expensive tea in my princess cup. It's a large milkchocolate coloured cup with a golden brim and a golden rose. I admit, drinking my tea from that cup sort of makes me feel like modifying my principle of not singing with a tinkly voice. Hence I quietly hum.

I've also noticed, whether on a wise queen- or a carefree princess-day, I somehow tend to attract the strangest beings on buses and trains. They rarely speak, they just sit themselves down very close to me - and I promise, I haven't bewitched them with my tinkly voice - when the bus or train is nearly empty. They seem very content with doing that.

I like to think of them as my lavender friends. Named after a nondescript woman living in my neighbourhood who likes to dress in lavender and without exception always sits next to me on the bus. Very close next to me. I oblige. That's the least I can do, whether feeling queenly or princessly, or just simply being a human touch in world of injudicious rulers.

060927 002

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...