Monday, September 10, 2007

Me & My Sweetie

070804 187
This is not going to be about food. But the things you enjoy with food, that perhaps compliment the food nicely from time to time. Since I've never been, and probably never will be, a *fine wine connoisseur* this will be about other kinds of fruity beverages.

The best kinds are of course the freshly squeezed ones - and I just say, nothing whatsoever have surpassed the amazingly simple but oh so zesty orange juices I had in Madeira. It's at times like those one really very much obviously realise the climate up here in the very north isn't the very best for growing luscious savoury fruits... And oh yes, the South African fruit juices were a sure runner up for first place in the Pia Book of Beverages too -

070830 012

Like these yummy ones you get at Lotta i Stockholm (used to be called Cezanna's), at Hornsgatan. They serve a mean vegetarian roll-up, and it's a perfect place for people watching too. More so when you can have a table outdoors weather permitting, but as long as you get a table by the window it's fine by me all year around.

But when you can't get a hold on the freshly squeezed juices and you ache for some fruity enlivener? Sadly enough I think the supply of these in Sweden are appallingly short. Basically only Brämhults - which is nice, but not all the time... - and Pago - which in my opinion is quite boring.

070820 045

So whenever I find other alternatives I jump at the chance to find new favourites. I think this Pomegreat (pomegranate) I had at Centralbadet café one lovely afternoon was quite delicious. And the Mangajo Acai-berry and greentea at Vurma, the Soma Organic Smoothies we stumbled over at Lennartsnäs garden café - haven't seen them anywhere else though... -, Firefly peach & green tea, which can be found here and there nowadays, is quite refreshing. And the design of their bottles aren't too bad either...

When in UK there are always delicious fruit beverages to be found I think, like the wonderful range of Innocent Drinks. And in South Africa I made acquaintances with the Real Juice Company's überdelicious natural fruit juices, like Pomegranate & Blueberry and Ruby Grapefruit - I so miss all that at home... Yes, I do make smoothies and fruitjuices myself now and then, but it sure would be nice if you once in a while could be able to find something other than just Brämhults juices when you want to pick something up quickly when hurrying for the train...

And yes, I'm well aware of the fact that when saying it would be really nice to be able to have all those organic fruitjuices and labels from abroad shipped over here, it's also a question of logistics, transportation and environmental consideration to think about...

Now I mustn't forget to mention my Sweetie - even if it probably can't be consider to be a healthy fruit enlivener of any kind - which is a very tasty non-alcoholic cider without sugar from Stockmos - an old Swedish family company - with melon and sweetie. It tastes like summery childhood bubblegum and I'm hooked. I'm sure the flavour doesn't appeal to everyone, but for some reason the only empty space on the supermarket beverage shelves this summer has been where the Melon & Sweetie cider was suppose to be...

So apart from my love for tea with milk, water - the tap kind -, lattes, the occasional ciders and cocktails, I do like my natural fruit juices and drinks very much.

And what about you, what's your favourite beverage/s?

4 comments:

Wendy said...

A cup of strong tea on a Sunday morning.
A glass of red wine on a wet wintery evening.
Some camomile tea whilst reading in bed.
A pint glass half filled with cranberry juice and topped up with tap water whenever I'm really really thirsty.
A creamy Baileys on Christmas morning.
Think that's it. :)

Pia K said...

That's a lovely way to describe your beverage-habits! I think I'll have to think about how mine would look if I'd write such a list...:)

Anonymous said...

you should try sip water. I'm not sure if it is being sold in sweden, but it is on sale in the UK
http://www.sipdrink.com

Pia K said...

Thanks for the tip, Alice, haven't seen it in Sweden (yet) but I'll have a look for it the next time I'm in UK.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...