Sunday, July 08, 2007

WCB #109 - Merits and Demerits



Sometimes the sad downside of having the joy of cat companions, ie that day you finally have to say goodbye for ever, threatens to overshadow the whole thing of having pets at all. Yes it's a part of life, dealing with death, but still, the loss the grief, the heartache, there are moments one might ask oneself if it's worth it...
And since in the end, for most of us I think, all the benefits of being owned by a cat, or two, or more, well overshadow the devastating sadness and sorrow that eventually, for all of us, will come one day when we have to say goodbye and let go of those furry ones that has been so precious, the answer is yes.
Myself, I feel both sadness, loss as well as blue pleasure when I look at the old pictures. But I also have a look around in the house and there I see other furry companions that would probably never have even been, if it wasn't for that mere 60 grams kitten being born once upon a time.
And they're such a comfort, if not her, then of her descendant, and I see a bit here, a bit there, tiny glimpses of that special one. And they demand attention, they demand cuddle, they demand food, water, clean boxes, life goes on. Even if it is without a little piece of my heart, a little chamber deep within that will never ever be lived in again.
And if it wasn't for that little one who lived in that special chamber, there wouldn't be a gang of furry ones spreading the purr of joy and happiness in many a kitten-buyers' home - such as these three above;
red tabby Siegfried that is just as sweet as an apple and therefore takes his rightful place in his owners fruit bowl,
his bluetortie spotted sister Solbritt, that doesn't only have a name as the sun, but also a sunny disposition when spreading a catty homish atmosphere in her home in Denmark.
Black as liquorice is this confectionery of a cat, his pedigree name being Quirk, his everyday name being Hamlet. He's regal in looks and he's treated like a prince, so it's very befitting indeed.
So, I take comfort in those thoughts when life goes on without her.
This weekend's cat blogging is hosted by Upsie & Sher at What Did You Eat? - come join!

13 comments:

sher said...

Pia--what a beautiful post. It touched my heart. I think you said the things that many of us who give our hearts to cat companions feel so often. Life does go on, but we always remember them, the loving cats that enrich our lives. Hugs.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Such sweet kitties with beautiful colors and a wonderfully thick coat!

Kitikata-san said...

Oh, the big orange kitty in the bowl is just too cute! I love that picture.

Pia K said...

Thank you for those thoughtful words, sher!

And thanks, rosa and kitikata-san, yes the british shorthairs cuddly teddybear appearance is adorable, I agree:)

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

it's always so hard and hurts lots when we have to let e felöine freind go.
'though we know they'll always be in our hearts and souls we miss them madly.
time heals a little bit and some time in future we'll all be together again. *hugs*

Donny and Marie and Casey said...

Wow, your post moved mommy to tears! She is still dealing with losing Missy over 1.5 years ago, but your post has helped her put things in perspective...coz what you say is so totally right.

~Casey, Donny and Marie

PS. It's pawesome to meet ya! We'd like to link ya - pls feel free to link us! :)

Anonymous said...

Those are adorable pictures. Siegfried and Solbritt almost look like cuddly plush toys.

And of course we think black cats are quite regal ;)

Pia K said...

Thank you astrid, kashim & othello:) I like to think that those loved ones that are no longer with us have a happy fullfilling life in the Valley of Cherries (Körsbärsdalen) like in Astrid Lindgren's The Brothers Lionheart. It's there we'll meet up one day...

Pia K said...

Thank you casey, donny & marie:)
I know that feeling of loss too well it seems, although a long time has passed. The mother of The One I'm writing about was also a very special cat, I lost her 3,5 years ago and I still miss her...

Oh I cry too, but I also think crying is a way to heal, one step at a time...

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Just last evening while at the vet's office I witnessed a 21-year-old kitty being put down. It made me cry and cry.
I remember how I felt after having to put down my cat and after that it took me 20 years to get another one. I was finally adopted by a cat when she arrived at our doorstep and won me and my husband over. I am so sorry for all those years when I was "Cat-less" and hope others won't make the same mistake I did.

Pia K said...

Oh, I agree, to have to be at the vet's at the same time as someone else brings an animal to be put down, that's heartbreaking too.
I wouldn't be able to live without a single cat in the household for 20 years, I'm glad you finally did get one who decided you were the perfect place, the perfect person to live with:)

s'kat said...

What sweet little faces, and I'm certain, many sweet memories.

I'm facing having to put down one of my cats soon, and it really tears me up.

Pia K said...

Thanks for stopping by, s'kat:)

I wonder what's worse, having to say goodbye forever without any real warning or all the worry, all the tears, that comes with having to make that devastating decision... A heartbreaking part of life whichever way you look at it...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...