Monday, July 16, 2007

In awe

070606 030
One may believe in deities or not, one may harbour the thought of religion as opium of the people, or not, one may think that money and labour during centuries could have been more wisely spent than on building churches for worship, or not.
070606 033
But one fact I think most of us everywhere, whatever belief or not, can agree on is that most old churches are beautiful and amazing pieces of architecture.
070525 010
My personal favorite church, more of a very large cathedral I guess but still..., is most definitely La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, I've been intrigued by it ever since I saw it in a book when a child, I'm in awe of everything Gaudì made really - and it was so truly amazing to be able to one day experience it irl.
070526 021
070526 023
Unfortunately that day was also a day with a too long queue of visitors for experiencing the glorious piece of architecture from inside - I refuse to stand in line like that... One day I hope to be able to return and experience it in detail, inside and out.
060730 015
But also churches not quite as impressive, or far from since nothing built in the way of a church can come even close to that spectacular piece of architecture, intrigues me and make me want to explore mainly the surroundings. To wander around in peaceful churchyards is rather a wistful lovely way to put things in life in perspective I think...
070416 013
Sometimes, many times, the inside of the church is far from as admirable as the outside, it can be such a disappointment to have a look inside. The contemplation of life's great mystery is simply just better done outside, in tune with nature...
070716 038
070716 046
Other times the inside is a serene and restful place to meditate, far from necessarily in a religious way, upon life. There can be wonderful works of art - I pass on the churches with too much of statues though, they just make me shudder - or a particular light playing from the windows, or a certain inviting atmosphere.
070616 099
I love it when someone unknown, never to be seen just heard, is practising the church organ, that always has a special alluring effect on me - it's such a treat to be able to sit down a while and enjoy the fair tones in that special kind of acoustic ambiance.
070625 014
070625 030
I also love going to church concerts now and then. Especially when there's something like a Russian man's choir performing. The Russian language is so heartbreaking beautiful and when sung by special voices, in that special milieu... Can't be explained, must be experienced first hand...
070526 005
And, if one can look past the labour, the lives lost while building them..., isn't it just amazing that such wonderful buildings with all those details could be built so long ago? I'm in awe of all those people that could make such an imprint in history, believing in deities or not, harbouring the thought of religion as opium of the people or not, believing money could be more wisely spent or not, I'm in awe of the labour made.
070524 002

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...