Friday, May 11, 2007

Movie review, short and sweet

I do like movies that take you that that little extra way thinkingwise, but when it comes to reviews I tend to make it short and sweet - or sour - and right to the point. So here comes my opinion on the latest 20 movies that I've seen, the latest one first;

  • Mozart and the Whale - quite a sweet movie, I did love Josh Harnett's portrait of a man with Aspergers syndrome. Rather moving on the whole I think -4/5
  • The Sentinel - a pointless and totally predictable thriller. 2/5
  • The Passion of the Christ - actually, just a blood mess. I'm clueless. 1/5
  • Jersey girl - is there any movie Ben Affleck has played in that's worth seeing...? I just feel sorry for his co-stars who has to do all the work in order to get a semi-decent movie. 2/5
  • The Holiday - ok, the Law-Diaz lovestory was pretty mushy in parts, but as a whole I totally enjoyed it. Fun, cute, moving and a movie which takes place partly at the English countryside is hardly ever wrong! 4/5
  • Wallander - Mörkret (Darkness) - Swedish thriller, based on a story by the internationally renowned Swedish author Henning Mankell. Quite a good one. -4/5
  • Exit - Swedish thriller with Mads Mikkelsen. What a piece of foreseeable, embarassing crap! I have absolutely no idea why good actors took part in such a lousy production... Less than 1/5 = worthless
  • Vinnare & förlorare (Winners & Loosers) - Swedish dramacomedy, had its moments but unless you're completely interested in trotting you might as well skip it -2/5
  • The Majestic - it had its moments, but was far too looong and strangely unengageing. I wonder what happend with that cute-scary looking toy-monkey though...? -3/5
  • Life or something like it - a totally pointless drama with a Marilyn-lool-alike-Angelina-Jolie,*brrr*, -2/5
  • The Stepford wives - the Nicole Kidman-version. Highly enjoyable! Loved her sidekicks ms Midler and Roger Bart. I've seen the original version years ago, but if my memory doesn't play me a trick it has a much sadder ending, more faithful to the book I would imagine. 4/5
  • Where the truth lies - yes I do adore Colin Firth, but not everything he makes. This one I did like though, a lot. Stylish, sad, interesting and I love the fact that they actually keep the mystery going all the way to the end! 4/5
  • Babel - completely overrated and unengageing 2/5
  • American pie - The Wedding - yes I confess, I find these American pie-movies qute entertaining in parts, yes they are totally gross partly but sometimes you just have to have a good laugh and for some reason that kind of nasty, crude kind of humour does the trick. +3/5
  • okay - Danish humorous drama. 3/5
  • Wimbledon - Paul Bettany was great, other than that left no imprints. -3/5
  • Duets - hadn't heard of, was a really nice surprise. I'm far from a fan of Gwyneth Paltrow's acting..."skills", but wow, her singing did impress me a lot! And so did Paul Giamatti - oh my! A little gem, 4/5
  • Town & Country - just because it had that hilarious scene with the polar-bear costume it gets a 3/5. Other than that it was pretty bleak. But Diane Keaton was as good as always.
  • Wallander - Byfånen(The village idiot) - another movie based on a book by Henning Mankell. So-so, -3/5
  • Black and White - yes I do love my courtroom-dramas and lawyer-TV-series, and there's not a lot that beats a really good concluding speech! This move is based on a true, and sad, story about an aboriginal man in the 1950ies Australia that was wrongly accused and sentenced for raping and murdering a white girl. But well, I must admit, it mainly left me restless and bored... -3/5

Have you seen any of the movies above? What's your opinion on them? I'd love to know!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I loved Mozart and the Whale! I'm a big fan of the "non-blockbuster" movies, they usually have better acting and more passion - because the cast & crew are making them because they love them, not because they are being paid several hundred thousand dollars.

Pia K said...

Yes, I totally agree! Once upon a time the blockbusters could be quite entertaining and "fresh", now they rarely are... And the stories just keep repeating themselves, so booring...:(

Another non-blockbuster-movie that springs to mind is Garden State, such a nice little one:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...