Monday, March 26, 2007

A new kind of discrimination

Can't help but finding this very new kind of discrimination hilarious;

a Stockholmian with excellent skills and recommendations can't get at job at a company in Skåne (the very south of Sweden) due to just that fact, that he comes from Stockholm and because of that obviously oozes too much confidence.

Apparently Stockholmians are concidered to be rather self-important in the province of Skåne. Even the words "Stockholm" and "Stockholmians" are concidered to be bad language in Skåne. Perhaps even something you say to frighten small children?

Believe me, this is news to me, I'd even go as far as to say it's earthshaking news, but in the province of Skåne they're said to take great pride in a timid attitude and a quiet personality.

I'm sorry, but now I'm doubled up with laughter! Since my experience of the Skåneians (a new word in the Practica Pia!) is quite the opposite - they take up a lot of space, talk very loudly in a nearly incomprehensive dialect and oozes a lot of self-importance.

Of course there are exceptions to my very personal rule, but still, generally speaking I tend to stick to my "prejudice" about Skåneians. It's a beautiful and lush province, I just wish those southerners could learn to speak proper Swedish...

But apart from that dialectal problem, well I wouldn't go as far as to discriminate someone when it comes to a job-interview, when he/she has excellent skills and recommendations just because he's from Skåne... And guess what, I'm even broad-minded enough to have both bought and sold cats to Skåne *see me ooze with pride and self-importance*

The union-representative won't take this matter any further, since Stockholmians aren't concidered to be an ethnic minority.

Even if I can't stop giggling about this - I'm even thinking it must be pre-April Fool's day-joke - perhaps it also got a more serious angle to it. If people are so overflowing with prejudice against people from different provinces inside one country, where basically the only difference is the dialect, then it's no surprise that other kind of prejudices blossom.

Me, I prefer the only thing to blossom right now being tulips.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...