Wednesday, December 13, 2006

December 13th, the day of Lucia

Today is the day of Lucia, a much loved and very typical Swedish celebration that takes place on December 13th every year. It's named after a Sicilian, medieval saint, but have not a lot to do with that poor girl's suffering nowadays.

It's mostly celebrated with a procession of girls and boys in white chemises with the girl playing Lucia wearing a crown with candles on her head leading the procession. They sing all sorts of mainly Christmas songs and it's really atmospheric and quite lovely.

If you want to know more about the Swedish Lucia-celebrating you can read in English here and in Swedish here.

And yes, I have actually been chosen to play the part of Lucia several times through the school years. If it's because my lousy singing-voice (the Lucia doesn't have to sing) or because I was usually taller than the rest of the children or some other reason, I let that be unsaid. The picture shows me and my procession one year in kindergarten. To the left I'm smiling contentedly over my saffron buns "lussekatter".

Something which I'm actually going to do in a few minutes, eat them and smile. In the sofa, under a blanket, with a cup of tea, surrounded by the fourlegged herd, watching "Corpse bride" on DVD (no fun intended).

Have a lovely Lucia out there!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...