Thursday, November 30, 2006

Me & mushrooms

This is what I ate yesterday, grilled halloumi - a favourite thing of mine! - mushrooms, squash and paprika. Quick and easy and good foor both mind and body! It was so incredibly good that I had begun eating before I took the picture... Although my tummy didn't agree with the food somehow, I actually spent quite a bit of time in the loo afterwards... I totally blame the mushrooms - mostly I can eat them fine, and I do like them a lot. But when they don't agree with me, they totally disagree big time...

They were also to blame for one of my most - so far - humiliating moments in life, well I must say I acted really well considering the circumstances, but still, the mushrooms had hit again. It's years and years ago now, but somehow it's a vivid memory, ready to pop out whenever I think of mushrooms.

Imagine one really cold and snowy winter evening in the 1980ies, I were off to an aerobics class with a friend. The class would take place in a high-school in the city, I had to walk to the subway-station from home, take the subway for about 30 minutes and then walk some more. Before I left home my mum had made me an omelette with cheese and... mushrooms.

Sitting on the subway I felt the tummy acting up a bit, no worries, there'll be a toilet when I'll get there. Soon. But somehow we didn't manage to get there that soon, apparently we were a bit unsure of the way there, that cold, cold, winter evening with lots and lots of snow everywhere. I felt more and more desperate, badly in need of a toilet. Really, really, REALLY in need of one - now!!

And so the mushrooms had their ways with me, there and then, on that cold, cold, evening, in the snow. Just before we actually found the right high-school where the aerobics-class would take place. There they were, some very unwelcomed guests in my pants. A toilet with a big sink, please! I somehow manage to hide my predicament, slipped into the toilet - yes, a sink! - and began the washing up a k a drowning my unwelcomed visitors. As well as that could be done by hand, without detergents, in a toilet with a not so big sink...

The BIG question afterwards though was, what am I to wear when getting home, on that cold, cold evening with heaps of snow everywhere...? I only had the clothes I was to have worn at the aerobics class with me, mainly a pair of sportsocks and a pair of shorts. I couldn't very well get into those now wet and not very clean jeans again...

So my wardrobe back home had to be those knee-high sportsocks in my boots plus the shorts. On that cold, cold, evening. Teamed up with a long coat - thanks to that late 80ies fashion of really long coats with impressive shoulderpads - I actually manage to get myself home. Very litterally freezing my bottom off I might add.

So my longterm relationship with mushrooms is a bit split, but mainly good. When it doesn't come to cold, cold winter evenings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...