Monday, September 19, 2005

Indian Summer in Stockholm


It's been a few days, nothing really exciting or interesting has happened in my world...

Today though, it has been a fantastic Indian Summer day and I've had a good walk in the city and a nice lunch at Café 7 Knop (close to S:t Eriks plan in the centre of Stockholm). They make a very nice, wholesome Health-plate (Hälsotallrik) with vegetables, rice, different toppings like tuna or feta-cheese, cottage-cheese and egg. Also some nice fruit-smoothies can be ordered.

And if you aren't satisfied after that meal they have several lovely cakes to choose from, like Pecan-pie, chocolate-cake, fudge-cakes etc.

What I don't recommend though, is their caffé lattes, for some reason they have always tasted really chemical and bitter.

If you do want a caffé latte, they serve good ones at for example the chains Wayne's Coffee and Coffee cup. On the other hand, the food/sandwiches at Wayne´s aren't always very good though, in my opinion. The bagels at Coffee Cup are always very tasty though!

Now to something completetly different.
If I've failed to mention that I also breed cats of the breed British shorthairs as an hobby (since 1992/93), I mention it now. In average 1 litter/year, so I try to keep it a small affair. Attending cat-shows are also a part of the hobby, well it used to be a rather large part of the hobby. But alas, through the years you get more and more chastened and realise that far too often it isn't necessarily the best cats that win...

And rather than the cats being judged it's the owners/breeders/handlers of the cats that are "judged" i e it's in large parts a mutual admiration society and it's never wrong to be really friendly with judges and be "well-connected"...

Almost everyone in this arena knows this, but oh if you mention it loudly or even try and complain about it, of course you're just a bad looser and a jealous one at that... But in my experience, if you want a hobby including a fair play, this isn't the arena you should opt for! Well, I suppose this sort of reflects other parts of society, a sense of fair play is often an odd quality than a regular one nowadays, don't you think?

Do I have to mention that I've cut down drastically at the cat-showing? Well I really have, it's no longer my cup of tea. Now and then I still show cats, just to be sort of updated on the arena. But unfortunately I don't find it fun at all really anymore, if I want to meet the breeders that have become dear friends during the years, we can meet elsewhere than at cat-shows...

Having said all that, I also have to mention that I actually showed my youngest little, cat lad last Sunday. It was his very first show and he was a sweetie and did get great comments and good judging. He is a creamspotted boy, with the pedigree name S*Javeliner's Pelle Svensson, Pelle on a daily basis.

His name is also really special to me; his breeder always name her cats alfabetically after athletics (English names). This being the P-litter, I immediately thought the Swedish nick-name Pelle would be cute. With me being totally uninterested in sports I though maybe the breeder knew of some Swedish athlet with that name? Yes, Pelle Svensson, a Swedish wrestler, in his prime even world-famous.

And, of course, after his wrestling career was over, he became a lawyer! I ask you, can there be a better name for a brit kitten for me?! Pelle is the name I wanted, Svensson is a really common Swedish surname, looking like a chubby wrestler is THE thing for a British shorthair cat, and then the lawyer connection is just too good to be true!

He is really a sweetheart, my little Pelle, and above you can see a picture of him with my older sire Knut (pedigree name being Eu Ch S*Luddkolt's Knut Knebworth, redspotted in colour) playing in the cat scratch-tree.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...