Thursday, February 19, 2015

bake your own semla and make your own almond paste

semla making

Yesterday I made my own semla from scratch. Such fun! And I have no idea what took me so long. Simply laziness I suspect. The baking process was thoroughly inspected. The dough was lovely to work with!

semla making

The buns turned out a bit lopsided though, kind of fancy roll looking - hey semmelwrap, you've got competition! - but tasted lovely.

semla making

But the absolute best thing of this homemade semla was the almond paste. Very similar to the one in the once upon a time Stockholm super semla (which isn't at all as superb and well worth a detour anymore), coarse, crunchy and not as sweet as usual almond paste. Because I use half the amount of sugar compared to almonds instead of 50 - 50 as is the usual style.

And this is how I made it:

Almond paste (the heavenly kind)

2 dl almonds (do NOT skin it!)
0,75 dl caster sugar
2 tbsp water

Put the ingredients in the food processor and whizz until you get the consistency you like. I prefer mine much more coarse-grained than the store bought. It will aso be darker since the almonds aren't skinned. Which gives it a lovely natural look.

semla making

My homemade semla will certainly not win any prizes for beauty. But looks ain't everything and taste is and that certainly isn't something I would complain about to the baker in question.

I will write about the recipe for the semla buns soon. So you can make your own if you don't happen to live in Sweden (is than an excited squeal I hear?).

The whipped cream is plant based of course (Alpro soy) but the buns I'm not able to bake completely vegan since non dairy butter without palm-oil isn't available in Sweden. If you're lucky to have palm-oil free vegan butter, then by all means make it all vegan. The environment and the animal kingdom, not to mention your health, will thank you!

semla making

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...