Monday, November 24, 2014

when george clooney helped prosit set new professional goals

well hello there

I'm currently seeing a coach. Not because I saw an imminent need for one but because an acquaintance of mine, who's an HR-manager, is taking a coaching course and she was looking for clients to practice with. Since it was four sessions for free and I've sadly been forced to reform parts of my dreams and goals this year I thought it would be a good thing for me too. What do I want with my professional life now and how do I get there.

There are probably at least as much charlatans in the coaching business as there are good and great ones. So I'm usually healthy sceptical whenever I meet one. And I've met quite a few, from really bad to really good. When they're good they're empathic and have a knack for asking the right questions, leading you to find the answers yourself. When you leave the session you feel totally inspired, the world is your oyster and the sky is limitless.

After three sessions I feel it's been very good for me. I've given myself tasks on the goal-reaching road after every session. First time there were quite a few but after I'd done them it turned out there were no obvious and appealing ways forward with those particular ones. Even if it was clarifying it was also rather disappointing.

It was good to talk that through too. And the insight that even if I felt I'd done very little, because the outcome was so unsubstantial, I had in fact done loads. And what didn't happen wasn't because of me but because I can not control how other people/organisations attitudes, reactions or actions, I can only control what I do myself. Which of course isn't rocket science, but sometimes it takes someone else to point such obviousness out.

Since I've been overloaded with work these past two weeks in particular I haven't been able to really dig into the recent tasks I've given myself. But they're still viable and important and without any due date of course. Instead of feeling I need to do them all at once, if I tick one of them off each day I'll get there soon. Today I've even ticked two off the list.

And today's session was a good one. Which made me laugh and think. About how my mind works and what pushes me in general and forward.

We did and exercise involving the Venn diagram to see partly what I'm looking for in a dream client, collaboration or assignment, partly what I'm "all" about.

And here's when Mr Clooney appears in the equation. Given the features and attributes I'm looking for in my dream client/cooperation partner the symbol for s/he/it is apparently George Clooney. I have no idea how that happened but it made me laugh and the insight that it does make really good sense is a revelation.

This doesn't mean, however awesome that would be, my new goal is to actually have George Clooney as the dream client to work towards. It just means that I've refined qualities for new possible dream collaborations and goals. Thank you for that Mr Clooney, much obliged. Your next coffee is on me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...