Thursday, August 06, 2009

the book bunch

As there's precious little wit left in undersigned's head after being back on course track (on a humid, sad lack of air condition in classroom day) proved to be far more exhausting than I thought today's post will just (as if there's anything just about it) be a short, but sweet, sharing of the latest acquired book bunch.

The first package was lost along the way by the forwarding agent, so I had to reorder and when I finally got the much anticipated parcel it turned out they had sent the wrong copy of one book. Naturally the book I most wanted to start reading. New book on its way though. How will I manage, I who don't have nothing to read. Anyway. Here are the glorious eightlings;

IMG_4113

:: "Nätokraterna, boken om det elektroniska klassamhället" (The Netocracy, the new power elite and life after capitalism) by Alexander Bard & Jan Söderqvist - how does the society, democracy change with the digital revolution? And what does it mean for the future. Should indeed be an interesting read.

:: "The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Díaz - prize winning novel with great reviews, still I don't know anyone close to me who've read it. Very curious about it am I.

:: "A guide to the birds of East Africa" by Nicholas Drayson - I read a review on the book that praised it. It sounded sweet. I got it. Can't wait to begin reading a story where the main character has a carefully sculpted comb-over.

:: "Quantum Wellness" by Kathy Freston - far from a huge fan of self-help books I was intrigued by this seemingly sweet and caring (vegan) author when she appeared on Oprah. Thought I'd give the book a go and see if there are some new insights to be had or if it's just a lot of hullabaloo that someone with a reasonable amount of common sense already know.

:: "Terry Jones' Barbarians, an alternative Roman history" by (surprise) Terry Jones and Alan Freira - yeah, finally it has arrived. It will certainly be an interesting read, but I doubt as captivating as the TV-series...

:: "Sock and Glove, creating charming softy friends from cast-off socks and gloves" by Miyako Kanamori - I heard about this sweet book on Martha Stewart (yes I have been known to watch a random episode of the show, not too many though, wouldn't want to end up like one of those scary fanatic looking/behaving studio audience. Besides, there's a nasty amount of meat cooking going on too) and since I do prefer my sewing machine attempts reasonably following careful instructions this charming book promptly made it to my-to-get-list. The instructions seem easy to follow with step by step pictures and texts and hey, you don't even need a sewing machine to achieve the old gloves and sock-dolls

:: "The comfort of Saturdays" by Alexander McCall Smith - hooray, it has arrived, wait this silly over sized pocketbook isn't what I ordered, take it back, send me the proper one. So sadly the most certainly lovely read of the fifth book in the wonderful Sunday Philosophy Club-series will have to wait yet a while. Oh the sigh.

:: "Dewey, the small-town library cat who touched the world" by Vicki Myron - I've been wanting to read this one for so long and I do hope it proves to be a good read and not something like the horrific "Marley" book.

Now the oh so delightful quandary of where to begin.

3 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Pia, I have only read Dewey, which was quite sweet. I love a great pile of new books to read, it makes going to bed early or waking up early enjoyable. I hope you have a lovely weekend, with some tasty nibbles and some moments to sit out in the sun and read.

julie and poppy q

Anonymous said...

An interesting collection of books.

I hope you get the correct Alexander McCall Smith book you ordered soon. I love his 'First Ladies Detective' series. Also got to meet him. He's very nice.

Happy Reading,
Paz

Pia K said...

i so agree, julie, books make such things enjoyable! although i can't concentrate on reading if not in bed, on the public transportation system or waiting for someone/somewhere.

Ha, that's the one series of his I don't like, Paz...;) But he seems like an overall great (and insightful) guy, how lovely to have met him!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...