Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Clueless

I think I can honestly say that I don’t use this blog as a means to vent, grump and bitch about the things that really don't go my way. At least not all that much. Sometimes though, I really feel the urge to let out some steam of frustration.

But at least I try and do it in a non-bitchy, relevant way. The other stuff I keep for conversations with friends and family, since as far as I'm concerned there's no obvious reason to rant and tell it all to the whole Internet, things have a tendency to come back and haunt you (even if you're not running for president). And I like to keep my closets as clean as possible. When possible. If possible.

Having said that I do feel the urge to analyze/muse a bit about an encounter of the possible future income kind I had the other day. Which during and after made me once again feel quite stupefied about the fact that so many, too many, an overwhelming majority of people haven't got a clue as to what having a law degree means. What's most dumbstrucking is that recruiters seem to be so clueless and ask what can be described as some of the world's most misconceptive and ill-informed questions. Why can't they just plainly admit their cluelessness and ask for examples instead?

But they don't and I haven't got all the time in the world to inform them of all the possible tasks a reasonably intelligent law degree holder could take on and carry out brilliantly, so I try and sell myself and what I do best, what I love and feel strongly about, my passions and my pros, in which environment I thrive and in which I don't, emphasize my strengths in the time I do got and I really don't feel I'm unclear or trying to be too eloquent.

I'm always quite comfortable in situations like these, my handshake is firm - as opposed to the limpy fish ones that remarkably many recruiters I've met have - my gaze doesn't flutter, I don't fiddle with my hair or hands or stomp my feet, I take notes, I'm present and concentrate on the situation at hand.

And yes I do notice how the one/s opposite me behave/s. If I wasn't in this frustrated situation I am in I would find the observing and interacting at job interviews highly amusing - and I wouldn't mind giving feedback on the pros and cons of the recruiter/s behaviour/s. Human behaviour in different situations never seize to fascinate.

What I say is what I mean, and even if I love playing with words when I can and to prove a point in a discussion, I like to believe I never use unnecessary lot of them while in interview situations. But since we all misconstrue people's intentions and meanings of words uttered now and then I'm also aware of that the things I say and explain might be analyzed, based on their personal, non-objective and less than well informed views and prejudices.

Here are a few highlights from my latest encounter - and by all means, misconception might be mine on a less than well put word here and there;

* if you're so fond of writing why don't you write a book instead? Well, that's something I, and many others, have on my-to-do-list (seriously, it would be *nice* to be able to pay the bills while writing that book...)
* oh, is that a long list? Most of us have dreams and goals that we strive and hope to fulfill one day (you have no idea how many of those goals I've fulfilled and I'm not about to tell you either, since that's personal and irrelevant)
* I see you don't have a driving license, you really should have you know, is that also on your list? - I did begin taking driving lessons once but then I broke my arm and I've never felt a real urge to get one after that. There are plenty of good public transportations in the city, not to mention the environmental aspect (snort)
* You have so many interests and ideas, you should start your own company instead - well, of course that's one idea but it's just not viable right now. First things first (do you seriously think I haven't spent a whole lot of time analyzing my situation back and forth? And why do I often get the distinct impression that some consider having interests, hobbies and a curious, vivid intellect willing to improve and expand one's mind being a liability rather than an asset?)
* You are very niched so I'm not sure if we will have anything suitable for you, but one never knows - ??? (You have my CV, I have spent about an hour talking about my qualifications, my broad skills and specialities and still you call me niched???)

I left the meeting feeling both annoyed and somewhat frustrated, even if I didn't expect them to hand me a job on a plate the minute I walked in the door I had at least expected more enthusiasm, interest and intelligent questions since they had good recommendations and were quick to get in touch.

So, there, I've vented a bit publicly, one has to do that now and then in order to keep reasonably sane and not dwell to much on the past or the annoying times in the present. I try, with varied results, to make the most of my time, my life even if some days are more of a vacuum than others. I still like to believe that something good will come out of all this frustration, this, too long, current situation, in a not too distant future. Because I'd very much like to feel productive in a more non-frustrated-grumpy-venting way.

4 comments:

Nic's NEWs said...

Wouldn't you just love to ask them some questions back? Like:

* if you're so fond of writing why don't you write a book instead? Have you ever considered the value of a company blog? You might find it interesting to read this post:

http://www.kreafon.se/blog/2008/11/05/varfor-foretagsblogg/

* oh, is that a long list?
Goals and vision are an important part of life, what sort of vision does the company have and are there any goals documented and accessible to the staff?

* I see you don't have a driving license, you really should have you know, is that also on your list? - Why do you feel it is important to have a driving licence? Does your company have an enviromental policy?

* You have so many interests and ideas, you should start your own company instead - Do you prefer to employ people who are totally focused and do not have interests outside their work?

* You are very niched so I'm not sure if we will have anything suitable for you, but one never knows - ??? I'm sorry, I thought you had a copy of my CV before I came to the interview.

Now that would be fun!

Pia K said...

Oh, that would be fun! Such great answers! And somehow not always there when one needs them... I'm really grateful for all that input, thanks, Nic!

John D. said...

I liked your venting. : )

Pia K said...

Thanks, John, glad someone did...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...