Monday, October 08, 2007

Little Pudge

I got some upsetting cat news today - the sad incident apparently happened over a year ago, but the owner hadn't *been able* to tell me until now, despite my emails, birthday- and Christmas cards...

I had very much thought of keeping this little one, Pudge Papplewick, she was a blacktortie tabby (a pretty unusual colour and pattern) and just adorable. So sweet, so trusting but still with a gutsy and determined personality. But I let myself be convinced this buyer was just fine, long time breeder, catlover, Pudge would have a happy home and a long cared for life there.

The P-litter, soon to be four years ago, was the first one Malte supervised from the very beginning. He loved to nudge them around, and they totally loved him back - yes Prunella, Pudge's sister (which was returned from the buyer due to *allergies*...) still is his greatest fan. She most always says goodbye when he's out for a walk, and is the first to greet him when he's back. She'd love to sleep tightly next to him, but he really doesn't appreciate the cuddliness of the cats, he wants his sleeping space to be uninterrupted.

All that trust and love for dogs makes it all the more tragic that it was actually a dog that killed her.

I know, one can't keep all the cats one breeds, for a whole lot of reasons, and look at all the happy new owners and all the cats that live and prosper to a ripe old age... But still, I can't help but wonder about this little life wasted, and the choice I made that time...

pudge6v

2 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Poor pudge - she was an adorable kitten but I guess she might have died even if you had kept her. It must break your heart to hear that news as it must be hard for you to give them up to their new homes.

Pia K said...

Well, I seriously doubt she would have died by the jaws of a killer dog if she had stayed on with me... But, yes, it is heartbreaking to get such news, since I always feel, however silly it may seem, responsible for them even if they have moved. The notion that I put them into this world and it's my responsability they should be safe from harm... Poor, poor, Pudge...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...