Thursday, August 23, 2007

My Marathon Man

It was time for the annual dentist's appointment, something which I've dreaded a bit since me and my toothbrush haven't been as friendly as usual, for no apparent reasons really, this past year. And being friendly as usual, I normally end up with one cavity or an old filling that needs to be replaced each year - nothing major *touch wood* but still far from pleasant.

So far I've also been able to resist Mr Dentist's attempts of persuading me to have my wisdom teeth removed, I like to have whatever wisdom I've gleaned over the years intact, thank you very much!

Other than that he's a really nice fellow, my dentist, and we go a long way back. I think it'll be something like 20 year's jubilee next year. Call me the faithful kind. Or it's just that he's got the right knack when it comes to giving anaesthetic injections. Because if there is something I really, very, very, v e r y much hate it is getting shots.

I never used to get injections at the dentist's before the drilling began, it was just too horrible for words, in my world. Not until I began seeing Mr Dentist. Now I graciously accept them every time there's a cavity to fill, just because he's so good at giving them. And it really is enough to hear the drilling without having to feel the pain of it.

I've never ever liked going to the dentist's - well, who in their right mind does...? When I was a wee one I went to the Eastman Institute, dental care center for children. It wasn't a very pleasant experience, assembly line style with rows of dental chairs in a big ward. So I began to scream. And scream. And then some. Until they had to put me in a private room because I scared the other children. And they hadn't even gotten around to look me in the mouth yet...

But then there's always an exception to the rule, even the hate-going-to-the-dentist-rule, at least for me. *This is sort of X-rated, so by all means stop reading if you're prudish*

The very single one time I take pleasure in pain is when Mr Dentist grazes my teeth and gum. Oh my. I'll spare you the details, but well, that sensation of complete cleanness afterwards is really, very, very... appealing. Um, it's probably sort of very slightly perverted, but hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one with mixed dentistry emotions...

And having revealed such a deep, dark grazing secret I now give you the very good news of not a single cavity for me this year! And very clean teeth indeed. Which definitely called for a break with a carrotcake at the lovely café Skafferiet i Hamnen - The Pantry in the Harbour - nearby the dentist's surgery in Gustavsberg. A place which usually offers a mean afternoon tea, though not during summertime. But this was quite fine and just what my very clean teeth asked for in reward. Sure beats those wimpish bookmarks the dentists used to give away when I was a child...
070823 003

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My dentist was my next-door neighbor while I was growing up and I still love and adore him. He also fixed our bikes and toys and everything - in fact, when I moved away to go to college he gave me a full tool set and told me that if I didn't know how to use something to call him and he'd talk me through it. I have only good memories of the dentist. :) I realize I am probably more-or-less alone in that department though.

xox

Pia K said...

Oh my, that's a completely new interpretation of the word handyman, what a nice guy:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...