Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thoughts On Travelling

Like so many others I love travelling. But somehow I'm not very keen on travelling within Sweden - when there's a whole wide world out there to be discovered... Yes, I so prefer to go abroud. And on a regular basis to Scotland, and England, I feel so at home there somehow. The nature, the villages, the cities, the language, the dialects, the ambiance... There's just a very special feeling in my inner me whenever I go there...
Loch Ness
But with every time one returns to a favourite destination, it means that you miss out on discovering a new place... Which is a bit of a problem, since most of us haven't got an endless amount of time or money to go travelling. So, how ever stupid it may sound since I do want to practice mindfullness and live in the moment of now, almost every time I travel I can't shrug off the feeling that there's also something I give up, that I miss out on in another place... Like there's a little hole inside that always cry out for more and never getting completely fulfilled.

Which is a very ambiguous feeling, since I do consider myself basically happy and content with life and myself, being who I am, living where I do, surrounding myself with the people I'm lucky enough to be able to have by my side. Yes I most certainly have my ups and my very downs, but still there's something basically content living inside of me also. Sharing rooms with that hungry hole, who just wants more.

Which really wasn't what I set out to write about this time... Strange how the mind wanders and the fingers tapping away on the keypad, just out of reach from my intentions and purposes. I suppose it's the inner me who wants a word in the matter. An inner me who isn't always very easy to interpret. Or perhaps very easy to, but for many a reason it's just simpler to turn a blind eye...
Dartmoor, UK
Well. Back to travelling. Sweden. Yes, I've never been and will probably never be very keen on travelling for extended periods in time in my own country, but for some exceptions. There are 25 provinces (landskap) in Sweden. Of them I've visited 20 - and mainly due to catshows all over the country. A great way to learn some geography within! - but the five most northern provinces are still a black mark for me.

I suspect they will remain that too, I'm sure they have many a beautiful and interesting thing to offer visitors as well as inhabitants, but somehow I've never ever felt any sort of inclination to travel far north in my own country. If I want mountains and dales, fjords and lochs I head to Scotland.

I love "my" very own landscape of Uppland, and I do thoroughly enjoy discovering or returning to, new lovely spots in the Stockholm vicinity. But my very favourite province is most definitely Skåne, the very southern tip of Sweden. It's such a lush, inviting province with gorgeous houses, in a very typical Scanian architecture, and many castles. I'd love to have an old farmhouse down there, with a writer's den, pottery barn, jewellery making workroom as well as a large living space, cherrytrees and rosegarden...
060819 021
And then Skåne has the proximity to one of my favourite cities in the world, wonderful Copenhagen, capital of Denmark - as well as the whole European continent within easy reach. Imagine to have such easy access to most all European countries by car, within hours. Oh my, I wish...

The only, very obviously negative, thing about the province of Skåne is that they speak the most abominable dialect. It's so difficult to understand and more resemble Danish than the regular Swedish - I just wish they could practice speaking a dialect more pleasing to the ear as well as easy to understand...
köpenhamn april 2006 011
Dream scenario would of course be that Stockholm would be situated in Skåne, and the inhabitants could speak a conceivable dialect. And that a Scotty could beam me up, and put me down, whenever I wanted to travel abroad and I wouldn't have to bother about money or time consuming travelling and the greenhouse effect...

Oh how mind wanders, when the travel-intestine demands attention...

How do you feel about travelling? Do you have any dream-destinations yet to be visited? Or do you have a favourite destination you're more than happy to return to? Do you prefer travelling domestic or abroad? How often do you travel? And how often would you like to travel if you were able to? Please fell free to share your thoughts on travelling...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...