Saturday, May 19, 2007

WCB #102 - The Thinking companion

Years ago I got this great poster sent to me from my friend K in Berlin, it's a black and white picture of a cat and the words "Man kann in Leben auf vieles verzichten, aber nicht auf Katzen und Literatur" -

you can live without many things, but not without cats and literature.

And of course I couldn't agree more!! There's a reason she sent me that poster I guess... I framed it and it still hangs on the wall in one of my rooms. To glance at that poster and see those words sure is a mood-enhancer!

And I think this wonderful little tortie tabby kitty in the picture illustrates this marriage between cats and literature perfectly. Since she spends most of her time being a helper - and famous attraction I might add - in a bookshop in Norrtälje.

In the back of my head I just know there's an endearing story to this bookstore cat, but I can't seem to neither remember it nor find it right now. But I'll keep trying, and then update this entry!

Another thing that I do find rather appealing with cats, that being owned by one or more of these furry little charmers, is to be in very distinguished company. Since so many catlovers through the centuries have been and are famous writers, poets, artists, singers, musicians, painters and designers.

Cats do seem to be very popular among the intellectuals and the cultural elite, and isn't that delightful?! That there seem to be a common quality in cats that strike an influental cord in many great thinkers -

yes, perhaps one might be as bold as to say that it's actually the cats themselves, as a beings, that have had so many great and talented ideas through the years. Ideas that they have communicated mentally to their human adorers... That grand humanistic progress, and wonderful art, might actually be grand and inspirational cat-istic thought-waves, that have been translated into human language...

Now, isn't that food for thought!

This week's WCB is kindly hosted by Kashim and Othello over at Paulchen's Food Blog, and if I'm not mistaken there are some yummy snacks and a sunny spot to lie in, on offer there...

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Yes, I could not live without cats or animals! They bring joy to our lives...

Astrid (…and the kitties too) said...

wonderful thoughts about cats and books... and we think you're right!

hugs'n'kisses
Kashim&Othello

Kitikata-san said...

That cat must be really smart if she lives with the smart humans who will take good care of her.

Pia K said...

I'm glad I'm not the only cat-literature fan - thanks for your comments:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...